Life Issues Institute, Inc. is a tax exempt 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization in existence since 1991. It provides pro-life educational resources to the public at large and the pro-life movement. Its mission: assuring, through education, equal protection under the law for all living humans from the beginning of their biological life at fertilization until natural death. Its central focus is ending legal abortion.
Job Opening: Communications Associate
Description: Life Issues Institute, the grassroots education partner of Susan B. Anthony List, is looking for a Communications Associate with strong writing skills, research skills, creativity, digital experience, and an entrepreneurial spirit to join our team. While LII is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH, the Communications Associate would work alongside the SBA List communications team just outside Washington, D.C. This position reports to the SBA List Vice President of Communications.
This fast-paced position will oversee and implement communicate to the pro-life message through email, social media, app, podcast, TV, and radio. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to develop high-quality written materials, manage multiple projects at one time, and analyze different reporting mechanism to determine which messages and mediums are most successful. Candidates should demonstrate ability to identify problems and think creatively to develop solutions they can implement on their own as well as a part of a team. Because the position will work with two teams, including remotely, candidate absolutely must have strong inter-personal communications skills and a commitment to the missions of both Life Issues Institute and Susan B. Anthony List.
This is a full-time position with benefits and opportunity for growth.
Qualifications & Core Competencies:
- Must be strongly pro-life
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Excellent research skills
- Experience with social media platforms and website CMS and willingness to expand this skillset
- Highly attentive to detail
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects including individual as well as team projects
- Highly motivated with a results-focused approach
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research and prep bullet points or drafts for weekly LII mass communications including Brad Mattes’ weekly radio commentaries and emails
- Review reports for LII radio commentaries, refine and pitch targeted station contacts
- Manage all LII social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud
- Manage LII websites and make weekly updates
- Produce weekly podcast featuring LII President Brad Mattes and guests, including SBA List staff, research guests, lead on promotion and advertising of the podcast
- Monitor email accounts associated with the LII and reply to incoming grassroots inquiries
- Draft and edit copy as assigned including: memos, internal and external emails, press releases, pitches, talking points, blog posts, op-eds, and miscellaneous copy
- Read and track journalists and outlets covering pro-life stories and angles of interest
- Track media clips and leverage in pitches, donor materials, social media; use to develop media analytics reports
- Promote LII resources including making cold calls to radio and Television networks to pitch TV and radio specials; interviews with LII and SBA spokespeople; research speaking opportunities
The LII Communications Associate collaborates daily with LII President Brad Mattes to implement LII’s mission. The associate is responsible for working with the LII Team and SBA List communications team to ensure shared goals are achieved and will occasionally work on SBA List specific items.
Telecommuting is not an option for this position and a minimum one-year commitment is requested.
Background check and workplace personality assessment will be required as part of the interview process. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Jennifer Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state in your cover letter your position on abortion. Only pro-life candidates will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Interested in a Volunteer Opportunity?
We’d love to hear from you! Please email us or call 513.729.3600.