- Top 40 Abortion Statistics from CareNet (2019)
- According to the National Right to Life Educational Foundation’s Abortion Statistics, more than 62.5 million unborn babies have been lost to abortion in the US since 1973, the year the Supreme Court legalized abortion.
- The National Right to Life State of Abortion in US report analyzes the Guttmacher and CDC data on abortions in the US as of 2019 (January 2021).
- The most recent CDC report shows a total of 623,471 abortions in the US in 2016, based on data self-reported by central health agencies of 47 states. The Guttmacher Institute, founded as the research arm of Planned Parenthood, reported a total of 874,100 abortions in 2016 based on direct surveys of abortionists.
- Guttmacher Institute reports in their March 2016 report that 61% of abortions are enacted by women who have at least one child. (Report published September, 2019)
- 2019 Fact Sheet on induced abortion by Guttmacher Institute
- The CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report lists that 40.7% percent of all abortions in the US were performed on women who had at least one previous abortion. (2016 data, published November 2019)
- More than 2,300 babies die every day from abortions.
- Every 36 seconds a baby is killed by abortion in the US.
- 58.5% of abortions are obtained by women in their twenties.
- Planned Parenthood performed 345,672 abortions according to their 2018-2019 Annual Report. That figure represents 40.1% of all the abortions the Guttmacher Institute says were performed in the U.S. in 2017(the most recent year available). For more information see the 2018-2019 Planned Parenthood Annual Report.
- According to Guttmacher Institute, African American women account for almost 40% of abortions in the US although African Americans account for just 13% of the population. Hispanic women account for 25% of abortions. Here is more information on how abortion is decimating minority communities.
- Gallup polls continue to show that Americans believe abortion should be restricted.
- According to Guttmacher Institute, the chemical abortion pill accounted for 39% of abortions in 2017 up from 29% in 2014. Also, 72% of abortionists offer abortions at less than 12 weeks, 25% offer abortion at up to 20 weeks and 10% offer abortion services at up to 24 weeks. (published September, 2019)
- See State Policies in Brief: Abortion Reporting Requirements (February 2021).
- Printable version of State Policies: Abortion Reporting Requirements (February 2021).
Guttmacher Institute – Induced Abortion in the United States – July 2014 & March 2016
National Right to Life Committee – The State of Abortion in the United States – Jan 2020
US Census Bureau, Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2019