The Respect Life Apostolate of the Archdiocese of St. Louis acknowledges the beneficial work of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, formerly known as the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, in the area of breast cancer detection, prevention, research and treatment. Due to its policy allowing affiliates to offer financial support to abortion providing facilities and its endorsement of embryonic stem cell research, the Respect Life Apostolate neither supports nor encourages participation in activities that benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
This position is based on the following facts:
1. Public records indicate that Susan G. Komen for the Cure ("Komen") affiliates in at least 22 states (Missouri is not among them) have provided sizable grants to local Planned Parenthood chapters for breast health care services.1
- Despite Komen donations for breast health care services, Planned Parenthood (the largest single abortion provider in the country) stated in its 2004-2005 annual report that 9,900 more abortions were performed and 26,000 fewer breast exams were provided in 2004 than in 2003. 2
- Donors cannot control how an organization designates its funds. Therefore, money donated for a specific service, i.e. breast health care, directly frees up funds to support other areas of an organization’s agenda, i.e. contraception services, “safe” sex education and abortion services.
2. The Komen website dismisses the link between procured abortion and increased risk of breast cancer.3 However, the research of Joel Brind, Ph.D., a professor of Endocrinology and founder of the Breast Cancer Prevention Institute, and the work of Dr. Janet Daling,4 a leading cancer epidemiologist and pro-choice advocate, invalidate a dismissal of the link. Daling said, “I would have loved to have found no association between breast cancer and abortion, but our research is rock solid, and our data is accurate. It’s not a matter of believing, it’s a matter of what is.”5
3. Komen endorses embryonic stem cell research that requires the destruction of embryonic human life, stating that “embryonic stem cells…have the most potential” for cancer stem cell research.6 The destruction of human life at any stage of development is never morally acceptable. Embryonic stem cell research is also unnecessary since adult stem cell research has a proven record of cures and treatments.
Based on these documented facts, the Respect Life Apostolate (RLA) does not endorse Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The RLA encourages you to contact Susan G. Komen for the Cure (5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250 ? Dallas, TX 75244) and call for an end to all associations between Komen affiliates and Planned Parenthood, recognition of the link between breast cancer and abortion, and a refusal to support research that leads to the destruction of any human life. Our hope is that the Komen Foundation will focus all funds on research to find causes and cures for breast cancer and refuse to give financial or other support to any abortion provider or organization that promotes the destruction of human life.
1 Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation & Planned Parenthood: The Visible Link. Right to Life of Indianapolis, August 2005.
2 Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. (2007). 2004-2005 Annual Report. Retrieved March 27, 2007 from <http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/report-05.pdf>
3 see "Factors That Do Not Increase Risk of Breast Cancer." Susan G. Komen for the Cure. 27 March 2007. <http://cms.komen.org/Komen/AboutBreastCancer/AbcFactorsNotRelatedtoRisk>.
4 see Daling JR, Malone KE, Voigt LF, White E, Weiss NS, Risk of breast cancer among young women: relationship to induced abortion., Journal of the National Cancer Institute 86: 21, 1584-92, Nov 2, 1994.
5 "The Cover Up." Coalition on Abortion/Breast Cancer. 27 March 2007. <http://www.abortionbreastcancer.com/coverup3.htm>.
6 “Cancer Stem Cell Research Shows Promise.” Frontline: The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation’s Newsletter. (Fall 2006). 29 March 2007 <http://cms.komen.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/komen_document/006137.pdf>.
Back to Komen Abortion Link